How can you get rid of used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a departed relative or you chose to upgrade your hearing aids to something fancier such as a cochlear implant, the solution is the same: donate your pre-owned hearing aids rather than getting rid of.
There are several organizations that acquire and circulate used hearing aids to individuals who could really use them, and there are plenty of people who need them. Keep reading to find out how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why You Should Consider Donating Your Pre-Owned Hearing Aids
First, here are some significant stats about loss of hearing and hearing aids in the United States:
- About 14% of the total population, has hearing loss
- 91% of adults who have loss of hearing are above the age of 50
- There is evidence of loss of hearing in 15% of school aged children
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually make use of hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of people over 70 who need hearing aids have ever had them
This is very worrisome. Because untreated hearing loss has been linked to multiple health issues from an increased risk of falling to mental decline and depression. The value of your hearing to your overall health is supported by new research being released all of the time. These health problems can be avoided and in certain situations reversed by hearing aids.
And the final convincing fact is that loss of hearing can cost the average family $12,000 in earnings every single year. But that expense can actually be decreased by up to 50% by using hearing aids.
It might not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your used hearing aids can have a huge effect on their financial well being, quality of life, and health. It may also help a child in school who has a hard time hearing, which could impact their ability to get into higher education and make a decent living when they get older.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are many volunteer organizations and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Stop by and we can help you find a recycling strategy. Or give us a call.